About Me

My photo
Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, United Kingdom
This is a blog I use to share my papercraft projects. I make them for friends and family, as well as selling them to fund my craft stash. You can get in touch with me at loumac03@gmail.com if you have any questions or would like to place a commissioned order.

Monday 27 January 2014

Bezzie Mate and Skin Colouring Tips

Hey guys! It's Monday again. Back to work for us mortals. *yawwwnn*

I hear the weather was pretty bad in some parts of the country, with hail and thunderstorms over the weekend. I hope you're all safe. We merely had half an hour of torrential rain and a bit of wind - nothing exciting here.

So today, in sticking to my word, I thought I'd share another commission with you guys. I posted a few updates on my FB page as I was creating this piece, and I had a lot of comments about my skin tones. There have also been a few of my blog readers, old and new, who've asked me about my pens.

Stoopid Blogger (or stoopid me - I'm undecided which) can't work out how to leave a 'reply' link on peoples comments on my blog. Please, if you know how to chance that setting, any help would be gratefully welcomed!

For now, there's no other way for it than to include it in a post.

I use ProMarkers and FlexMarkers (I have recently treated myself to a few Tria Markers, but they're the exact same thing - I've been tryna fill in my pinks a little) for ALL of my colouring. I don't go in with pencils after, I don't use any Copics to fill in gaps in my colours - it's simply ProMarker and FlexMarker work.

That said, I have had a lot of questions about the colours I use for skin. 

Rose Peach (FM)
Peach
Soft Peach
Blush
Ivory
Baby Pink, Cocktail Pink

I always work light to dark, and back to light if the space on the piece I'm colouring allows for that. If the area I want to colour is small, and I'm using a saturated colour, like red or dark green then I work dark to light and try to lay down as little colour as possible.

Donna Jerrett commented on a colouring update on my FB page and asked what alcohol markers I used. She said the blending on my skin was seamless. She couldn't believed I used ProMarkers. Guys, this is why I will continue to fly the PM flag! Enough practice, getting to know your pens and your cardstock and there is no reason why we can't be as good as those Copic snobs (said in jest, of course).

So, that's all I got for ya today, I hope that's answered the questions I've been receiving lately. I always get asked to do tutorials, and every time I sit down to colour I get carried away in the moment and forget about it. Perhaps one day. One day soon. 


So as for my card, I used Wryn and Emmy BFF from Tiddly Inks. I've used this image a few times now and I never get bored of it. This time I decided to add a little pattern to the dress, very simply. I think if I was to do this again I would try and go with the flow of the dress, although I think that'd be tricky without making it look like a squiggly mess.

As this card part of a commission, I added the sentiment 'Bezzie Mate' with some Jillibean alpha stickers. I cut up some of the patterned papers from the My Minds Eye pack I'd been using and added a 'so this is happy' element to the other side of the image. 


I didn't want to add big, poofy bows to this design, as I didn't feel that's what it needed. Instead I used an organza rose and built the rest of my embellishments around that. A couple WOC paper flowers, an embossed heart and a sprinkling of the standard Stickles and Liquid Pearls finished this card off.

I'd like to enter this card into these challenges:
- Digi Designs Challenge Blog - Spots and Dots
- My Sheri Crafts - Delightful Digis
- Paper Creators Crafts - Anything Goes

That's it. Happy Monday and thanks for stopping by. xo

12 comments:

  1. Fabulous card, Lou! I love the bright colours.

    I'm not sure if this is exactly what you're asking to do able to do but if you change your comment settings to Embedded (Settings>Posts & comments>Comment Location) then you will be able to reply to the comments that people leave you. HTH.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. JanR!! I could kiss you, right about now!!
      How could something so simple have eluded me for so long?!
      Ever so grateful. Thank you!! xx

      Delete
    2. Jan R is one of my faves -- so I'm thrilled she helped you out w/ this.... Or I was going to leave my 2 cents @ your door on how to fix it !!! Bravo ladies !! :))

      Delete
    3. You two are making me blush! ;-) Happy to have helped and thanks to both of you for the kind words.

      Delete
  2. Lou, this is sooooooo darn cute /- I could nearly die --!!!
    & to top it off /- you've used on of my fave images & my very fave paper stack !!
    Love love love it all !!! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. OMG - your coloring is perfection. Love the way you colored the patterned dress - all I can say is WOW! Thank you for sharing your creativity with us at Di's Digi Designs Spots and Dots Challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Superb card, lovely colouring !
    Thanks for joining us at the Paper Creator challenge !
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. so stunning lou.fabulous image and i love your colouring and paperpiecing ;D

    x coops xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazingly beautiful card! Love the colors and that image. :)
    Have an awesome day...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sweet sweet card! Love all the details and embellishments

    ReplyDelete
  8. ooops... Thanks for sharing at My Sheri Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, What a lovely card - I love the paper piecing and your papers and embellies are great too. Perfect card for the Spots and Dots challenge at Di's Digi Designs
    Thanks for joining in, hope to see you in the new challenge starting today too, Donna ♥

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear what you think. Thanks for taking the time to look. xo Lou.

Search My Blog

My Fellow Craft-o-Holic Followers

Total Pageviews